All Saints, North Molton

About Our Church - By Clare Campbell and John Fox, Churchwardens

All Saints North Molton was built over 600 years ago and is a beautiful church that can be seen for many miles with a splendid tower of nearly 30 metres. Due to the length of time the church has been in existence, the history of the churchyard is amazing and the descendants of those buried are now scattered around the globe and yet are very interested and engaged with the current activities of the church. The church often attracts visitors who are all welcome.

North Molton has a thriving population and the church is well attended for the weekly Holy Communion at 10am on a Sunday and also on a Wednesday at 9:30am. The church is filled with villagers and visiting friends and families during high days and holidays and we have an open, all-inclusive approach to worship. Our patronal festival is late October when we also have the church bazaar. North Molton regularly hosts additional services for special occasions and we are happy to welcome visiting choirs or bell-ringers.

Due to the size of the church, we frequently open the doors to concerts, talks, recitals and other evening activities and these are well attended by the local community.

Those that have moved to the village or are visiting have often commented on the spiritual atmosphere within All Saints and we enjoy people visiting the church which is open daily from approximately 8am – 6pm. Please do come and visit and rest awhile with us.

A brief history of the Church of All Saints

The church was built in the 1400s and the ninety foot tower houses a peel of six bells. On the south face there is a carving of the Virgin and Child which survived the destruction of the Reformation. All three rooves are very old and of the waggon type, with carved bosses of leaf and floral design. The arcades are early sixteenth century and not perpendicular as some deviate up to fourteen inches but successive architects from 1590 have pronounced them stable. The octagonal font dates from 1490 and is elaborately carved to donate ‘All Saints’. On the west end is a clock that was built in Barnstaple in 1564 for £6.

Address

Fore Street
North Molton
Devon
EX36 3HP

Accessibility

Our Building

Music and Worship

Groups, Courses and Activities

Help for Visitors

Toilet – available nearby in the Old School House available on request

Disabled toilet

Wheelchair accessible parking

Car parking

Large print hymn books

Ramped entrance – available upon request

Hearing (induction loop)

 

Stained glass

Listed building

Bell ringing

Organ

Regular choir

Concerts/live music

Sunday school

Guidebook/notes

Guided tours – available upon request

Church open